Monday, September 26, 2016

Oil And Wax

The panels are ready for finish now. They have been rounded over on the edge and sanded to 800 grit sandpaper.


I have been using Tried And True Varnish Oil followed by paste type furniture wax for finishing my fine furniture and woodworking projects for many years now. 


I am pleased with the results, both initially and over time. This finish provides a protective film but still allows you to feel the wood.  I have pieces I finished 15 years ago that are still in very nice shape.

I am putting the oil and wax finish on these parts before assembly because, if the panels shrink in the future, they will show an unfinished portion if I don't. This product is thick, like honey. You want to apply a very thin coat. I use a cotton cloth, wadded up, to apply the oil. I wipe on a coat trying not to leave any excess. When I have covered the panel on both sides, I wipe it down with a clean rag to remove any excess oil. I let it dry for about 24 hours before applying another coat. I will use three coats of oil on these parts, followed by a coat of wax.



Panels for the front and back with one coat of oil applied


Panels for the sides with one coat of oil applied


Between coats of oil I will be working on material for the floor and lid. Thanks for taking a look. Check back again and see how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.