Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Blanket Chest Shop Drawings

When I am making a piece I haven't made before I usually like to work out the joinery details on paper before I start cutting up material. I use graph paper and I don't get too elaborate, just enough detail to be sure that I have planned practical and workable construction. The joints for the blanket chest are fairly standard mortise and tenon and tongue and groove. 

This is a detail drawing of the frame to leg connection and a leg plan view.



Here is a section drawing of the panel tongue and groove,

and here are details of the top rails and the stiles. The lower rails would be essentially the same layout  but upside down.


Well. with the joinery figured out and the lumber all sized I think I better set up the mortise machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.