Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Finishing The Stiles With A Tongue

I set up and cut the tenons and grooves for the stiles much as I did for the rails; cheek cuts with the tenon jig, shoulders on the crosscut sled, then grooves on the router table.


Next, I have to cut a tongue on the end stiles to fit into the grooves on the legs. I set up the slot cutter for a tongue configuration. It was pretty easy to dial in the tongue thickness even though changing it required inserting or removing shims.


The instructions that come with the bit provides the information to calculate the shims needed pretty closely.


Once I had the tongue width set I had to adjust the height. Notice that I had to remove the insert to lower the bit below the table. I need to get a few more inserts so I can accommodate large cutters. For me, without a zero clearance fence, it would be pretty scary to use this bit since the split fence is separated so much. After I had the height dialed in I moved the fence forward and clamped the plywood piece back on the fence, turned the router on and moved the fence into the bit until I had a good 1/4" exposed.After setting the depth with the router off, I ran all the end stiles through on the appropriate edge. Notice that I am using a push block to push these 1 1/2" wide pieces past the cutter. It just felt a little dangerous using only my fingers.


Now it's time to put all the frame pieces together. Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten about those panels and it's about time to get them finished. First I have to get my replacement panel together. The pieces stayed pretty flat after re-sawing so I ran the faces over the jointer once again and squared the edge. Then I used a hand plane to tune the edge before gluing. Next, I'll run the tongues on the panels.


Well, that's all for now. Thanks for taking a look. I hope you check back and see how the project is coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.