Saturday, September 10, 2016

Making A Leg Template

I like to use templates for layout whenever possible. A good template eliminates measuring errors (as long as it is made correctly) and simplifies layout when many identical parts are being produced. This chest requires a template for the shape of the leg bottom so I also included the mortise locations.

I made a full sized drawing of the "foot" portion of the leg.


I cut it out and used that to transfer the curve to the template. I used some scrap 1/4 inch ply for the template. I then carefully laid out the mortise locations.

Here I am using the mortise machine to punch the mortise locations in the template.


And here is the finished template. I used the spokeshaves and planes to smooth the curve after bandsawing. Now I can transfer the foot shape and mortise locations to each leg without measuring. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.