Friday, September 23, 2016

I Haven't Forgotten About You...Panel

I finished with the replacement panel today. I then trimmed all the panels to final size and set up the router table to raise the panels. I am basically cutting a tongue all around the panels, no fancy profiles, just a simple raise with nicely rounded corners.


The slot cutter bit works well for this. I removed one of the .002" shims to make the tongue just a bit looser. The panels will float in the grooves and while I want them tight, I suspect that the humidity on the East coast, where this project will live, is more humid than here. I also want to make glueing up the piece as easy as possible, and if the panels are real tight assembly will be more difficult.


Notice that I am using a backer block for the crosscuts. This keeps the end edge from blowing out when it exits the cutter. That is also the reason I make the crosscuts first, so if there is any blow out it is removed when working the long grain edges.


Well, all the panels are raised now. I will try to get them finished ASAP and then I can get the chest put together. 


Thanks for taking a look. Check back soon and see how it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.