Monday, June 20, 2016

Still tenons

After cutting all the notches I then set to cleaning up the edges and making the finish cuts for the top and bottom rails. Below you can see the little ridge left at the junction of the cheek and shoulder cuts. This will keep the joint from seating properly and must be removed.



I use a sharp chisel for that.





I chamfer the ends of the tenons, also with a sharp chisel, to help them enter the mortise.




Now I cut the stubs to fit the groove at the top and bottom rails. I use a square and sharp knife to cut on the line.



Next I make a slanted cut about 1/32" from the line.





Remove the waste and you have a handy little groove to start your saw cut.





Now saw to the line.




I had very little fitting to do with these tenons. A few needed some work with a shoulder plane but for the most part they fit right off the saw.





With all the tenons fitting I can now do a test assembly and measure for the panels, next time on the It Starts With A Tree blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.