Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Building a Pair of Doors

I am moving my dust collector to a shed attached to the back of my shop so I need to build a pair of doors to fit the opening. The doors will be painted so I decided to use poplar for the frame and russian birch plywood for the panels.

Here is my shop drawing that I have been working from:





It's a bit messy since I keep revising measurements as I go, but it is enough information to do the job. Drawings are always a compromise between having a really nice drawing and investing the time to make it so. My shop drawings are only for me so I can be pretty brief. Clients usually need much more and different info to be able to understand the design.

I built the frame already, now it's time to build a pair of doors to fit!

After determining dimensions I went to the lumber store and picked out some material.  Poplar is available in fairly wide pieces but I still had to glue up the 10 inch pieces. I broke the rough stuff down with a skil saw (cutting to length)  and a bandsaw (for ripping) and then milled a flat face and square edge on the jointer. After a trip or two through the planer my material is sized. Now I rip and crosscut at the table saw to make the pieces needed. I also made test pieces for setting up the mortise machine and the dado head.





Next time Mortices!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.