Friday, June 17, 2016

It's Tenon Time

There are several ways to cut tenons with the tools I have. I have cut tenons on the bandsaw when the pieces are too long to sit vertically on the table saw (see picture below) and it works fine. I have also set up a router and straight edge to cut tenons for a bench that was 16' long. Those pieces were too long to control on the bandsaw.


After mulling it over a bit and looking at the setup at each saw I went for the table saw.


Remember those test pieces? I used them to make test cuts until I was happy with the fit.


I have a tenon sled made by General that works OK. I would like it to be machined better but it does work well once set up. I use Freud Glue line rip blades and I like them very well. After running all the cheek cuts I then changed blades and set up the cross cut sled with a stop to cut the shoulders.






Now I need to mark the tenon layout on each piece and cut them to fit the mortises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.