Thursday, December 22, 2016

Finishing Up A Table

This project started with a few nice pieces of ash. I had the material left over from a past project and had been looking at the pretty quarter sawn grain that could come from them. These pieces were about 4" X 6" X 36" long. By re sawing I could come up with quarter sawn material for the top and apron, and rift sawn material for the legs. I started designing a small table with drawers several years ago to be made from this ash. I finally started building this table a year or more ago. I made the top but was still making design decisions about the legs and placement of drawers. Other things came up and needed doing so I never got farther than blanking out the material for legs, apron and frame parts. Well, the time to finish that project has come.

The top has already been finished with 3 coats of Tried and True Varnish Oil followed by 3 coats of wax.


The other material has been stickered on the lumber rack rack waiting for me to get back to it.


Here is a basic drawing of the table.


I decided to make the legs with a double taper, a design I have used before and like. I will also have a drawer in each of the narrow ends of the table. Since the drawers will be full height the stretchers will  be concealed behind the drawer front. The joinery at the top of the leg is shown in plan view in the drawing below.

Well, I'll be getting started on this table soon, but I need to make a leg tapering jig first. More about that next time. Thanks for taking a look and leave a comment if you want to. I like to think people are reading this but it would be nice to have some verification!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.