Tuesday, December 20, 2016

A visit To The Mint Museum, Charlotte, North Carolina



Detail of Salmon carving, Mint Museum.

While in Charlotte, North Carolina, I had the opportunity to visit the Mint Museum at the downtown location. This museum houses a nice collection of American and Contemporary Art as well as a collection of Craft and Design pieces.


I found the craft collection to be very enjoyable as well as informative.


There were several turned bowls and vases, some segmented, displaying superb craftsmanship and detail.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some work by several furniture makers I had read about in the past. There was a piece by Gary Knox Bennett and a work by Silas Kopf. The interior of the museum was a bit dim so I didn't make a picture of the Bennett piece but was able to make a pic of the Kopf piece.
It took 2 shots to get the whole scene. Silas Kopf is a master of Marquetry. More of his work can be seen on his website Silas Kopf Woodworking



Besides the collection of contemporary work there was also a collection of historical pieces which I found fascinating and frustrating. A lot of what I wanted to see was interiors of cabinets and drawers etc. and the pieces were not displayed to provide that kind of view. Here are a few pieces they had on display.



 I did make one shot of the underside of a chest but was quickly told that I was too close to the work and had to back off. You can see some of the construction details though.


All in all I had an enjoyable few hours looking at the furniture and wooden objects. I recommend going to as many museums as you can, whether you are traveling or are at home, there are always opportunities to see others work and to be inspired and informed by the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.