Friday, August 19, 2016

Making Book Matched Panels-Glueing Up


Now I begin to glue the panels up. At this point I have dry clamped the pieces and have a set up for gluing ready. Not having all the clamps I want, I can only glue two panels at a time.


For these panels I am Using Titebond II since I want the glue to set quickly and there won't be a problem with the joint setting too soon. I spread glue evenly on both surfaces to be joined. Use enough to wet both surfaces. I am using a trimmed down acid brush here to spread the glue. You don't need a lot of squeeze out.


Make sure the correct faces are up and you are joining the correct edges. Match the grain as you want and then start clamping. I line the joint up with my fingers and begin applying clamp pressure. I try to apply pressure evenly by tightening each clamp a bit at a time. This helps keep the pieces from sliding around. It can be difficult to keep the pieces in the same plane when clamping. Sometimes you need to use a block and mallet to even things up. I fuss with the clamps until I am happy. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get everything right. After I have the clamps tightened I set the assembly aside and start another. This is when you want more clamps, always more clamps.


After the minimum set time for the glue has passed you can take the clamps off and scrape any excess glue off. Next I'll be sizing and raising the panels and getting them ready for finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.