Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Book Matched Panels-Flattening

Since edge gluing, the panels have been stickered. They mostly stayed flat, but a few had cupped one way or the other.

Here is my set up for planing:


I am using wedges to hold the panels in place while I plane them. This is a very effective method of securing work. I use the ruler as a straightedge to see if the panel is flat. I then have a good idea of where to remove wood.


I am pushing the plane straight across the panel but holding it skewed. This helps make it easier to start the cut and to carry it through. This maple is figured so it is extremely difficult to get a smooth surface without using a hand plane and scrapers. As you can see below, this is full body exercise. It always impresses me to think of the life of a woodworker two or three hundred years ago and how much hard work it took just to make a smooth board.


I went over all the panels with hand planes to flatten them, checking with a straightedge periodically to see when I was done. This took about 5 minutes per panel. The work goes pretty quick if you have your workspace well prepared. Now, with one flat side, I can run them through the planer (planing the back side) and bring them to final thickness.

Next, I'll finish milling the panels, then it's on to making the walnut frame. Thanks for taking a look. Check back and see how it is going.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome if on topic.